Thursday 2 March 2017

True Bias Sutton tee in Versace

I have been looking for something to do with this fabric, a white rayon (?) with silver strands woven in, by Versace, for a long time. It's a lot shinier than I usually go for...it's from Casa dei Tessuti in Firenze and after browsing everything they had, it was one of the few things that seemed both fun and wasn't too expensive.

Initially I thought it had some stretch and wanted to make a Mission tank, but it really doesn't.  So finally I realised it's light and drapey enough to match the Sutton pattern - another thing I've had kicking around for about 2 years!

I cut a size 2, sizing down as my measurements would put me at a 4. This type of top is not something I like too baggy.











The Sutton pattern was a joy - with instructions that surprised me but produced an excellent result. I am really pleased with the clean finish.  The french seams sometimes seemed silly on this fabric, which looked very unlikely to unravel, but you can't go wrong with french seams so I carried on.  The pattern has you first finish the side seams and then sew them together as a prep for the side vent, and this is yet another spot where I wished for a serger.  That's basically my mantra lately.  I want a serger!!

I like the result more than I expected (I find the fabric kind of too outrageous.  I think.) It's quite scratchy but I like the fit, although I might shorten the body of a next version by just one inch.  This fabric had a little too much body and so it sticks out over the shoulders, but not too dramatically.   There will be more versions of this top!   

No comments:

Post a Comment